Saturday, August 14, 2010

Our first scare with Tiki

She's been having a little bit of trouble passing manure on her own. She's 5 days old today. She had hard stools a couple days ago but then seemed better. Tonight when I brought her in from her first full hour of turnout she was constipated and can't pass any manure on her own now. I gently used my finger to pull out what I could, and it was very soft, odd consistancy and color, tinged with a little blood. Tried enemas but unlike her merconium enema that went in fine, this was like it hit a wall and came right back out. Seems she's impacted right near the rectum and can't push it out. Vet will be here in the am, until then i'm pulling an all nighter in her stall and giving her 20ccs of mineral oil orally every 2 hours on vets orders to try to soften it up. Tiki is uncomfortable, but sleeping and nursing fairly normally. She's actually dreaming as I type this on my phone and whinnying in her sleep. She dreams alot and whinnies all the time :) It will be an all-nighter. Kim and Anne-Marie are on their way to help keep vigil overnight and help give her her mineral oil oral dose treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment